Skip to main content

Residency Verification

Residency Verification

Residency verification is required every year for new and returning families.

The first step to enroll your student at MUS is to provide Verification of Residence of parent, caregiver, licensed foster agency or group home representative, or California Superior Court-appointed legal guardian by submitting the following documents:

1) A current lease/rental agreement signed by landlord and tenant/guardian in its entirety OR a current property tax bill or grant deed listing parent/guardian’s name and residence property address*


2) A current electricity, water, or gas bill (all pages, top & bottom, with name, service period, and residence/service address clearly listed) or verification of service connection reflecting parent/guardian's name and residence address.**

If lease/rental agreement states that all utilities are included (water, gas, and electricity), provide TWO alternate forms of residency verification reflecting guardian’s name, service period or date received, and residence/service address such as:

  • Current cable bill (all pages, with name, dates of service, and service address)
  • Current income tax documents (from the IRS, State, and/or County with name and residence address)
  • Current waste management bill (all pages, with name, dates of service, and service address)
  • Current payroll stub (both name and residence address must appear on payroll stub)
  • Current bank statement or current credit card bill reflecting name and residence address
  • Current insurance statement (renter’s or medical) with name, date, and residence address listed

*If parent/guardian does not have a formal lease agreement or homeownership document in their name as described above in #1, a notarized affidavit signed by landlord is required (click here for template) as well as the landlord’s proof of homeownership or signed lease agreement with right to sublease as described above in #1.  Parent/guardian must submit copy of most recent utility bill (water, gas, or electricity) as described above in #2.

 **In the event a utility service connection notice is used for proof of residency, then a utility bill must be provided within 45 days to assure continued enrollment. 

Residency Reverification

Families with leases that expire before the end of the academic year, month-to-month agreements, or required affidavits will be prompted to reconfirm residency by providing utility bills or applicable forms of residency verification in late fall and spring. 


Change of Address Notification

Please notify the school office of your change of address by phone, email, or in-person.  The new signed lease agreement or proof of homeownership document must be submitted immediately.  A utility service connection statement should be submitted once available followed by the first utility bill within 45 days of service connection.

To confirm your residence is within MUS boundaries, please call our office at 969-3249.

Required documents may be submitted via email, fax, USPS, or drop-off

Montecito Union School 
Att: Student Records
385 San Ysidro Road 
Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Fax: 805-969-0633