Credentialed School Nurse~ Cassandra Ornelas RN, BSN
I feel privileged to be part of the MUS family and enjoy working with your children. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Cassandra Ornelas aka “Nurse Cassandra”. I started at MUS in August 2013. I have been a registered nurse for 25 years. School Nursing is my passion because it a specialized practice of professional nursing that aims at the advancing the well being of each child, promotes academic success, and facilitates lifelong achievement of students by early identification and treatment of potential or actual health problems.
I am a graduate of Mount St. Mary’s College. I received my Health Science Credential at California State University Northridge. I worked for the Santa Barbara Unified School District for 17 years as a School Nurse prior to working at Montecito Union School District.Our Professional goal as Credential School Nurses is to help ensure that each MUS student can reach his or her education potential by promoting optimal health and ensuring a safe school environment.
Roles and Responsibility of the School Nurses:
- Hearing and vision screening are conducted. for all Kindergarten, 2nd, and 5th grade students annually.
- Provide first aid and assessment of students who are ill or injured at school.
- Maintain current and accurate immunization records on all student to ensure immunization compliance with state mandates.
- Maintain confidential health records for students.
- Comply with state mandates regarding Kindergarten Oral Health Assessments and 1st Grade Physical exam in an effort to promote the health and safety of students.
- Conduct comprehensive health assessments to identify actual and/or potential health problems that may negatively impact education.
- Develop and maintain Individualized School Health Plans (ISHP) and 504 Accommodation Plans for students with health care needs.
- Provide direct and indirect nursing services.
- Clinical Supervisor for non-licensed and licensed staff providing health care at school.
- Conduct annual and specialized health care training to school staff.
- Medication administration compliance.
- Coordinate medical services and/or medication authorization for field trips and school sponsored overnight camps.
- Development of new health forms and health protocols.
- Oversight of the AED program.
- Coordinator of the “stock” epinephrine program.