Montecito Union School District
Overview and Application Timelines
1. Only students attending a designated"low-achieving school" are eligible to apply
for a transfer under this policy.
2. Romero Bill transfer applications to schools within the District must be completed
on District forms and will be accepted until January 1 of the school year
preceding the school year for which the student is requesting a transfer. Any
application submitted after January 1will not be accepted or reviewed.
3. This application deadline does not apply to an application requesting a transfer if
the parent, with whom the student resides, is enlisted in the military and was
relocated by the military within ninety (90) days prior to submitting the
4. The District shall notify a Romero Bill applicant's parent and the school district of
residence in writing by March 1 of the school year preceding the school year for
which the transfer was requested regarding whether the application was
Page 2 of 4 approved or denied. All approvals at this time will be provisional, to ensure that
the District can enroll its own residents, to whom the District owes a mandatory
duty of enrollment.
5. No later than July 15, the District will send Final Notices to Acceptance to
provisionally approved applicants who can be enrolled based upon remaining