Montecito Union School District
Board of Trustees
VALUES AND NORMS
* Make all decisions in the best interest of students
* Stay focused on vision and mission and model the core beliefs
* Make decisions grounded in qualitative and quantitative data (well-informed decisions).
* Work as a team. The Board as a whole will support majority decisions. Understand that the authority of the board rests with the board as a whole, and not individual board members
* Be respectful of people’s time, come to meetings prepared, stay on topic and keep meetings moving forward
* Be open, respectful and responsive with each other and the entire community
* Engage in active listening and create ample opportunity for community input. Seek first to understand and then to be understood
* Exhibit positive body language, mannerism, and tone of voice
* Assume good intentions
* Engage in proactive communication to inform and educate the community about issues and opportunities.
* Board & community members should feel free and safe to express their opinions and beliefs about issues. Board members will not criticize one another behind their back or in otherwise inappropriate manner.
* Maintain a sense of humor and joy for the process